Search Engine Optimization is a hot topic in internet community and rightly so. Now a days if you need to find details of a website or a product or any keyword, first thing you may do is go to google. Generally a user hardly goes beyond the first page of google search results. So if your website does not appear in the first or second page of search results then it is as good (or bad) as having a shop but no customers visting it.
When I created my first website, the first thing I did after publishing my site was to go to google and search for the site name. To my disappointment I realized that google could not find my web page. From there my journey to understand SEO (search engine optimization) started. Here are some of the useful tips that you may follow to quickly improve your website’s page ranking and bring more visitors to your web page:
- Create a google account to login to google webmaster tool and register your site with Google(http://www.google.com/addurl.html). It is free!!
- In search engine optimization, two kinds of tags are important on your web site: meta tags and HTML tags. The two most important meta tags are the keyword tag and the description tag. A keyword tag on IT job search page may look like <meta name=”keywords” content=”IT Jobs, hot technology jobs, open vacancies”>. Description tag gives brief description of your page like <meta content=”Best IT Job search portal, listing latest vacancies”>. Now a days most of the search engines do not give much importance to meta tags. Some of the HTML tags that you should add to your site are the title tag, the top (or H1) heading tags, and the anchor tags.
- Make your site with a clear hierarchy and text links. Every page should be reachable from at least one static text link.
- Create a sitemap for your users with links that point to the important parts of your site. If you want to keep it simple, you may create a simple text file having all relevant URLs of your site and keep it in the public folder of your web server. You will have to submit this text file sitemap to Google webmaster.
- You may create links on your web page that points to external relevant sites and are related to the content of your page. Broken links can lower your search engine ranking. But avoid creating link farms i.e. pages full of links because search engines are smart enough to detect that.
- Use right and meaningful keywords for the body of your web page. Think of keywords that a user might search for. Also use alternative tags for pictures and links on your site, like a brief description of pictures so that even if the picture does not appear there are some explanation of what should be there.